Simon Fielding founded the Crown Devon Pottery in 1873 on the site of the existing Railway Pottery in Stoke on Trent in the Staffordshire Potteries. After financial troubles the factory was taken over and expanded by Abraham, Fielding's son. The Crown Devon name was adopted in 1913.
The factory welcomed the forthcoming Art Deco movement and thrived in the production of Deco wares, patterns including Mattatone, Mattajade and Garden ware displaying a decorative floral design. Also in the nineteen thirties novelty musical pieces, lamp bases, salad ware and figurines (designed by Kathleen Fisher) were also produced. The factory continued in production until 1982, even recovering from a fire in 1951.