Popularly known for its chintz (tightly packed floral design) output, Royal Winton originally began as Grimwade Brothers in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
Founded by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade, the original Hanley factory was called the Elgin Pottery. Grimwade Brothers incorporated Rubian Art Pottery in 1913 with the Atlas China soon to follow with an amalgamation. Leonard was highly active in developing new techniques in the pottery trade, including Duplex Lithographic transfers and the Enamel Climax Rotary Kiln. 1995 saw new owners for the company and a range of wares were relaunched using original patterns.